Friday, September 14, 2018

Images walking to Bristrol Colorado

field of hay

I waited and waited after more than two hours I decided that they weren't going to reopen the Museum. I didn't want to leave Colorado yet even though everybody that has stopped to give me a ride was going east. So I started walking north on 350.


tried to id grass with a close up


I can not tell what kind of grass this is. It looks good. And there is water flowing in the irrigation ditches. Take a close look at the grass and see if you can identify it. I would like to know. The people that I have met don't know. Even one young man that was getting ready to flood a field. He didn't care.

4 rows of stacked hay with square bales


As you can see this ground produces a lot of hay. Each one of those bales is targeted to be one thousand pounds. Sure glad that we didn't have to throw those on a truck when I was younger. It was hard enough pitching the small bales that were the source at the time.

some of bridge, arkansas river sign, electric poles, and brush in river bed


Since HWY 50 follows (more or less) The Santa Fe Trail. And the Santa Fe Trail follows the Arkansas River. You will cross the river. It just didn't make sense to get too far away from water, wood, and wildlife. Because the pioneers had to drink, cook and eat.

no nap here under this bridge


Being 61 years old and tired from walking, I thought that I would take me a little nap. So I ducked up under the bridge. I was hoping it was a little bit people friendly. There was really no place to lay down and drift away into dreamland.

swallows mud nest


The birds have gotten used to not having a tree to build a nest in that is why swallows of martins build these mud nest. You find them up under every bridge. I am beginning to miss the trees. They come in handy when you want to get out of the sun. And maybe drift away into sleep.

gentle turn in the arkansas river


You now see the Arkansas River. There is still water in it. Colorado sure does take a lot of water out to grow its crops. But, it starts here. The river's source basin lies in the western United States in Colorado, specifically the Arkansas River Valley, where the headwaters derive from the snowpack in the Sawatch and Mosquito mountain ranges. It then flows east into the Midwest via Kansas, and finally into the South through Oklahoma and Arkansas.

concrete irrigation ditch filling up with water


Since it begins its journey here in Colorado, why not use it. It does grow some pretty grass, cows, and sheep. Haven't seen any horses close-up. The water in this ditch is being used by circular sprinklers. They use them in Alabama but, waste more water. Here the water is emitted close to the ground and moves slowly by using a timer. You can hear and watch it move when close.

electric pump filling a holding pond


I saw how they get the water into the circular sprinklers as I walked to Bristol. You can see that they pump the water into a holding pond then off to the sprinklers it goes. As I came close to Bristol they were putting in fiber cable for CenturyLink. I tried to get a ride north on 350 but just didn't. They did have a church there.

across the hwy you see wind turbines in the distance


I walk a half mile or so out of town, after dark I went to sleep next to the road, off on the shoulder so I couldn't be seen. It started sprinkling on me and I went back to the church and sleep the rest of the night on concrete but I was dry.

behind a wet weather pond and RR track you see wind turbines


At daylight, I rose and started walking back the 4 miles to Granada to get a cup of coffee. Before I got there someone coming the wrong way stopped and talked, seeing me yesterday he gave me five dollars for breakfast. I thank him and continued walking. When I finished drinking coffee and eating a little at the Stop and Go convenient store I went and tried to get a ride on 50 Which I did all the way to Indianapolis.




Enstrom Ranch Bristol Colorado


Uploaded on Apr 27, 2017
Drone footage from the Enstrom ranch in Bristol Colorado overlooking the 2 ponds on the property. You can see the Teal ducks and fish in the ponds plus a view of the nearby towns of Granada and Bristol in the distance.




Thanks for stopping by and reading my post "Images Walking to Bristrol Colorado" These are my images and are free images, to use any way you want. I mean they are Royalty free images. Here is where you can read the license

Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

To help support my efforts please follow a link to Amazon and buy something you want, anything you want, then I will receive a small sales commission in about sixty days. Thanks and may God Bless.

Keep Smiling



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...